Minor Conservatorships and/or Protective Order

Minor Conservatorships And Protective Orders

Petition of Conservatorship for Minor 

What is a Conservator or Protective Order for a Minor? 

A conservator is appointed, or a protective order entered, for a minor if a court determines that (1) the minor owns money or property that requires management or protection, (2) has or may have business affairs that may be jeopardized or prevented by minority, or (3) needs money for support and education and that protection is necessary or desirable to obtain or provide money. 

Filing the Petition
In order to ask the court for a conservator or a protective order you must complete a Petition for Appointment of Conservator or Protective Order with accompanying MC 97 and file it with the court.  If you need help filling out the Petition, you can consult the Instructions for completing the Petition.  Which is located on the third page of the form Petition for Appointment of Conservator or Protective order.

Filing Fee
In order to file a petition for conservatorship or protective order you must pay a $175 filing fee (cash, check, money order and credit or debit card payments).  Make checks or money orders out to "Ingham County Probate Court." 

Investigation Fee 
Once you file your petition, an investigator will be appointed to gather information about the request and make recommendations to the judge.  Pursuant to statutory authorization (MCL 600.875), you will be assessed a $25 fee for reimbursement of the costs of investigation.  This fee may also be assessed if there is an additional investigation based on a request for a temporary conservator of protective order. 

Certification Fee: 

Pursuant to P-33 LAO 2020-01, $10 per each certified document, plus $1.50 per page

After you file your petition
If and when you decide to petition for conservatorship or protective order, a hearing date will be set and there will be some other things you will need to do, including the following:

  •  Serve notice of the hearing on your petition to all interested persons (including publishing notice on any interested person whose whereabouts are unknown)
  • File a Proof of Service indicating that you have informed all relevant people in a timely manner. 

More details on this are available at Minor Conservatorships and Protective Orders: Service Information.